Meet Contemporary Media, Inc.: Chris McCoy
1. What does your position entail? As Film/TV Editor, I will be reviewing films opening in the Memphis area each week; reporting on Memphis area film events, such as film festivals and new productions taking place in the area; keeping readers informed about local filmmakers' projects and exploits; reviewing notable television shows and events; and recommending overlooked films and TV shows available at Black Lodge Video and on internet streaming services such as Netflix.
2. How did you get into this industry and what insight can you give someone interested in this industry that is Journalism, Marketing, Advertising and the like? I always wanted to be a writer, and majored in English at Rhodes College. I have been a freelance writer for more than 15 years, and got my start in publishing as an editor for city guides at a now-defunct Memphis publishing house. I submitted articles to many different publications and got published first in an arts journal, then went on to get a job as an editor for At Home Tennessee magazine and then later on the web at Live From Memphis. In the meantime, I have written and directed three feature films and numerous short films, and have been very involved in the Indie Memphis film festival. If you want to write for a living, I recommend finding one or more fields you know about and writing about it, perhaps on your personal blog. Then keep at it and don't give up.
3. On an off day from work, you will find me ... making movies and playing music.
4. What is number one on your Memphis bucket list? Right now, I just want to make another movie in Memphis with my filmmaker friends.
5. How long have you worked here? I just started! And I'm a freelancer. But I have been a freelance writer for more than 15 years.
6. What do you think makes the Flyer different from other publications? The Flyer's weekly format allows us to be timely, but gives us time to think and write more deeply and carefully about subjects important to the Mid-South.
7. When did you know that you loved words and wanted to use them to tell people a story? I can't remember not wanting to be a writer.
8. Tell me anything else interesting about yourself. Your favorite book, movie, part about working here, your dog’s ridiculous name, anything! I have written and directed three feature films, Automusik Can Do No Wrong (2004), Eat (2006) and Antenna (2012), in addition to numerous short films and music videos I have also been a musician in the Midtown Memphis rock scene for 25 years, currently playing with the horror metal band Super Witch.