Jun 12, 201212:08 PMThe Tip Sheet
The latest in Memphis business news
Survey: Tenn. Ranks High for Small Business Climate
Small-business owners ranked Tennessee sixth in the top 10 least costly states for hiring, according to a new survey by thumbtack.com and the Kauffman Foundation. The two-month survey included more than 6,000 business owners nationwide.
Key findings include:
- Tennessee earned an "A" for its friendliness to small businesses in tax code and zoning regulations.
- Women-owned small businesses were 38 percent more likely than male-owned businesses to rate their companies' financial situation as "good" or "very good."
- East Tennessee scored highest in the state for small business friendliness.
- Although Tennessee ranked well in several categories, it scored a B- for its overall small business friendliness because of concerns over future economic prospects (30th nationwide).
- Liberal entrepreneurs in Tennessee were 25 percent more likely than conservatives to rate their businesses' finances as "good" or "very good."