Meet Contemporary Media, Inc.: Shoshana Cenker
Meet Shoshana Cenker: Copy Editor, Memphis Flyer
1. What does your position entail? Copy editing every article that’s printed in the Flyer.
2. How did you get into this industry and what insight can you give someone interested in this industry that is journalism, marketing, advertising and the like? I have a journalism degree from Indiana University. I started as a TV news writer and producer and transitioned into freelance writing, proofing and copy editing for various publications and websites. I would suggest that people gain as much experience as they can by offering to write and/or edit any type of copy for any type of company. Accept any work that comes your way. Some work I’ve done that, at the time, I didn’t think I’d be able to apply elsewhere has actually helped me land other gigs because of that experience. And, remember, writing is subjective; some people will love what you’ve created while others may not.
3. On an off day from work, you will find me … with my husband at Shelby Farms playground sliding down slides and swinging in the basket swing with our three adorable kiddies.
4. What is number one on your Memphis bucket list? Take a riverboat on the Mississippi with my family.
5. How long have you worked here? Since December 2013.
6. What do you think makes the Flyer different from other publications? Our After Dark and Calendar listings are so comprehensive, anyone can easily find something cool to do in Memphis that interests them.
7. When did you know that you loved words and wanted to use them to tell people a story? When I was a young kid. My dad is a terrific storyteller! He inspired me to become a writer.
8. Tell me anything else interesting about yourself. Your favorite book, movie, part about working here, your dog’s ridiculous name, anything! I’m a native Memphian, we have three delicious children: twin 3-year-old boys and our daughter is 1 ½ years old, and we have three pets: a lab mix named Memphis, a mini poodle named Dreidel, and a kitty named Whiskey. Our kids have also been official Duck Masters at the Peabody. It was awesome! I’ve written a children’s book that I’m currently shopping around for publication.